Don’t miss the Mantua preview of the powerful Philadelphia based documentary “Pull of Gravity” that highlights the challenges formerly incarcerated persons face when reintegrating back into their communities. Join us Wednesday, April 17th from 6:00pm-8:00pm at MCIC, 619 N. 35th Street. A community discussion will follow the documentary screening. Seating is limited. First come first served. Complimentary refreshments will be available.
Councilwoman Blackwell is hosting a Community Forum to offer homeowners an opportunity to ask questions related to the Actual Value Initiative (AVI) that will affect your 2014 property tax obligation.
Many of us have questions about how the new home values were determined, Veterans tax exemption, how to file an appeal and the availability of resources to reduce your 2014 property tax obligation. This meeting offers you an opportunity to ask your questions.
The Mantua meeting will be held Wednesday March 20, 2013 from 6:00pm-8:00pm at McMichael School, 36th Street and Fairmount Avenue.
DREXEL UNIVERSITY has a temporary Dispatcher position available now!
GENERAL INFORMATION: The primary duties of the Public Safety Dispatcher are to assure an efficient coordinated communication service to/for the Drexel University Department of Public Safety, the University community, and local law enforcement agencies. Personnel in this position are considered “essential” in that they support a 24 hour, 7 day per week communication center operation. This is a temporary position. This position does not qualify for University benefits.
- Receives non-emergency and emergency requests (including 911 calls) for police/fire protection, medical, or emergency services; and obtains relevant information and inputs data, evaluates and prioritizes calls for service and dispatches appropriate personnel and equipment.
- Using a computer aided dispatch (CAD) system, monitors and updates public safety and police unit location and status in order to coordinate emergency field operations; provides backup support and information as necessary by operating a two-way radio; requests additional assistance from other agencies as necessary; and obtains computerized law enforcement information from local, state, and federal data banks through a telecommunications terminal.
- Performs data entry, maintains files and reference manuals; and performs other clerical duties.
- Monitor and operate emergency alarms, CCTV, access control and security systems (received via various means), making immediate contact with the appropriate agency/personnel.
- Provide liaison service to the Drexel area communities and other public service agencies.
- Monitors and arranges for maintenance of all Dispatch Center equipment, including all radios
- High school diploma required or Equivalent. College Education preferred. 6 months experience working as a Public Safety Dispatcher or an equivalent combination of education and experience; and knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position.
- Excellent communication skills required. Candidates must have the ability to speak, listen, and write in a professional manner.
- Familiar with Microsoft Windows applications.
- Remain calm during stressful situations and handle multiple tasks at one time.
- The ability to work shift work, holidays, and work mandated overtime when required.
- Candidates must submit to and satisfactorily pass a physical examination which includes drug and alcohol screening & psychological evaluation to determine suitability for this position.
- Candidates must agree to and satisfactorily pass (to be truthful, clear of, clean, and found not to have been convicted of any state or local laws) comprehensive background checks. The background checks will include: education verification, past work history reference checks, and a criminal records check. Criminal background checks will be conducted annually.
- Confidentiality statement. All candidates must sign a confidentiality statement relating to the confidentiality of sensitive University information, student records, faculty records, staff records and all information deemed confidential by the Department of Public Safety and Drexel University.
The Division of Public Safety values diversity and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds. Minority candidates are encouraged to apply.
SUPPLEMENTAL POSTING INFORMATION: This is a temporary position. This position does not qualify for University benefits. In-house candidates must have a satisfactory or better rating during the last evaluation period. Candidates must complete a Drexel Public Safety approved certification course (currently the APCO Public Safety Telecommunicator I). Shifts include days, evenings and nights including Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. The average background investigation takes one to two months. Because of the time needed for the background investigation, the average selection process can last between two and three months. Applicants not selected may reapply whenever an opening for that specific position is available. Applicants who are disqualified during the pre-employment interview process or background investigation will only be reconsidered if the status of their eligibility has changed from the previous application.
Selection and Hiring Process:
1. The Drexel University Department of Human Resources and the Department of Public Safety (DPS) personnel develop a fully qualified applicant list.
2. Pre-employment interview(s) with DPS and other university representatives.
3. Comprehensive background investigation.
4. Conditional job offer (requires successful completion of physical examination which includes drug and alcohol screening & psychological evaluation to determine suitability for this position).
5. Candidates selected for employment are scheduled for orientation and in-service training.
Drexel University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The Department of Public Safety is especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community.
To apply for this position, please send your resume to Stephanie Butler, email@example.com.
For more information about Drexel University, please visit www.drexel.edu.
The Dornsife Center for Neighborhood Partnerships Open House is Canceled Today Due to Icy Conditions
Icy Conditions require cancellation of the Dornsife Center Open House scheduled for Saturday January 26th.
Drexel University’s is opening a new community center in our neighborhood! This Saturday Drexel University’s Dornsife Center for Neighborhood Partnerships, 35th and Spring Garden, are hosting an Open House to allow Mantua residents to take a look around and learn more about how the center will serve the community.
The McMichael Community Home School Association (MCHSA) will hold it’s regular monthly meeting 6:00pm – 7:30pm Monday, January 7 in McMichael School’s Library, 3543 Fairmount Ave. All parents who signed up to be a MCHSA member are encouraged to attend. Included on the agenda: 1) details for the next Dinner w/the Principal Event 2) 1/21/2012 McMichael volunteer event details and 3) discussion about the pending proposal to close Morton McMichael School.
Thursday December 14th the Mantua Civic Association (MCA) hosted their first community meeting attended by approximately 75 residents. The MCA Community Meeting offered residents an opportunity to meet the Board, understand how MCA was created, share the purpose of the civic association and learn about community resident expectations. A working together theme was reiterated throughout the meeting to convey that the work to be done in Mantua is a collaborate undertaking. Mantua residents are encouraged to join MCA as members. For more information email MCA at MCAunitingmantua@gmail.com
The West Philadelphia Skills Center for Economic Advancement (WPSCEA) is now accepting applications for the next session of our Connect to Success program. This program informs, prepares and connects West Philadelphians to job opportunities with University City District employer partners. Training spots are limited!